Latest News‎ > ‎

Ballymacnab v Pearse Og - SFC Quarter Final - 18/08/2007

posted 6 Sept 2012, 14:59 by Unknown user

As the build up to the Seniors Quarter Final tie against Pearse Og continues, we look back the last time the sides meet in the championship which was at the same stage in the 2007 Championship.

Club notes:




The Round Towers almost completed the shock of the round when they pushed Division I side and near neighbours Pearse Og all the way in last Saturday’s Championship Quarter Final. On the day the Nab could have claimed victory in what was a gallant team performance. This was a historic day for the club as it was their first ever appearance in the Senior Championship but the Nab did let this get to them and although they came into the game as very much the underdogs this team however brought with them a strong Championship record.

As expected the Ogs were quick to settle and scored with a point on 3 minutes and followed this up with a pointed free a minute later. The Ogs adapted to play an extra man in the middle and this suited Chris Loughran admirably as he followed his marker and was on the end of a Brian McCone pass to slot over the Nab’s first score after 5 minutes. A minute later a goal for the Pearse Ogs increased their lead but this did not deter the Round Towers and points from Brian McCone and Tony Gribben (2) left just one point between the sides by the 17th minute. Two points for the Ogs were exchanged with a pointed free from Brian McCone left the Round Towers trailing 0-05 to 1-04.


On the 35th minute a point for the Ogs increased the deficit. For the next 20 minute the Nab went on to dominate proceeding and with Dwayne McParland, Joe Gribben and especially Sean McArdle breaking down the Ogs attack and setting up the counter attack. Despite this dominating period the boys in maroon could only add two points from chief marksman Brian McCone and this failure to get scores during this period proved to be the Nab’s downfall. Two quick points on the 53rd & 54th minutes looked to have ensured the victory for the city boys but once again the Nab rallied and only an excellent save by the Ogs keeper denied Paul Kennedy a goal when the keeper deflected his shot over the bar. A pointed free from Brian McCone deep in injury time left just a point in it when the final whistle.


As ever, the Nab were gracious in defeat but can hold their head up high in what was a gallant performance from a so called. It is an experience that hopefully can be learned upon as the Nab get back to the league action. Goalkeeper Sean Hughes had a fine game between the posts and made a number of crucial saves. The defence played particularly well with Joe Gribben, Sean McArdle and Barry O’Hare all having excellent games. Upfront Brian McCone was the Nab’s most dangerous player and was aided by the spirited efforts of Tony Gribben, Ryan Harvey and Ciaran McCleary


Team: Sean Hughes, Chris Loughran (0-1), Dwayne McParland, Paudi Beagan (Capt), Joe Gribben, Sean McArdle, Barry O’Hare, Paul Kennedy (0-1), Richard Gribben, Seamus McArdle, Tony Gribben (0-2), Michael Beagan, Ryan Harvey, Ciaran McCleary, Brian McCone (0-5).