Match Reports‎ > ‎

Convincing win for Seniors (23/08/19)

posted 27 Aug 2019, 05:21 by ballymacnab armagh


Ballymacnab 5-20 Clann Eireann 0-10


A hugely impressive Ballymacnab side took the field on Friday evening and led the contest from start to finish, causing Clann Eireann all sorts of problems from the opening whistle. The visiting side were no match for the aggression and intensity Ballymacnab played with and the Round Towers now sit top of Group 1 with one round remaining.


Jack Grugan got the ball rolling within the opening minute before Rory Grugan doubled the hosts’ advantage. Barry McCambridge broke forward to land the opening score for the Lurgan side but it was met with a brace of Ballymacnab points with Gavin McParland and Oisin McGivern getting the scores.


Clann Eireann dragged themselves back into contention with John Magee and Conor Turbitt raising a white flag each but Ballymacnab soon pulled away as two goals in as many minutes through Gavin McParland and Brendan Toner left the Nab ahead 2-4 to 0-3 after 10 minutes of play.


The next 10 minutes followed a similar pattern although Clann Eireann failed to hit the target during this period while Ballymacnab went on to kick eight points in a row with Brian McCone, Jack Grugan (4), Cormac Gribben, Rory Grugan and Oisin McGivern all getting in on the action.


 Clann Eireann did hit back with a point from McCambridge but it was cancelled out immediately by Jack Grugan while McGivern and Grugan continued to torture the away sides back six. This saw an end to the first half with the home side well ahead at the interval, 2-15 to 0-4.


Clann Eireann tried to spark a revival at the beginning of the second period with Turbitt and Ethan Kearney pointing inside the opening two minutes. Any hope of a comeback was destroyed a minute later when Gavin McParland found the net for the second time of the night, 3-15 to 0-6.


Turbitt pointed a free but the Ballymacnab steam train kept rolling as they struck their 4th goal in the 41st minute with Niall McKee punching the ball home for the easiest of finishes. Aodhan McConville’s point was met with two from Gavin McParland and Rory Grugan while Ethan Kearney hit a brace for Clann Eireann.


Jack Grugan rounded off a spectacular performance with a well taken goal to bring his personal tally to 1-7 while his brother Rory knocked over his 4th point of the game. Substitute Pearse Hughes got his name on the score sheet after being introduced and Oisin McGivern pointed a free with the final score of the game, Ballymacnab running out easy winners in the end 5-20 to 0-10.


Ballymacnab’s next opponents Crossmaglen continued their winning form with a victory over Sarsfields although the south Armagh men didn’t have it all their own way as they sneaked through with a 2-18 to 3-11 victory. The round three clashes are now a straight shootout with the winners of Nab vs Cross through to the quarter finals while the losers of Sarsfields vs Clann Eireann crash out of the competition.


Team: Conor McGivern, Ciaran Connolly, Ryan Kennedy, Sean Lynch, Michael Beagan (Capt), Cormac Gribben (0-1), James Gray, Rory Grugan (0-4), Paul Meegan, Oisin McGivern (0-4), Brian McCone (0-1), Ryan Watters, Gavin McParland (2-2), Jack Grugan (1-7), Brendan Toner (1-0). Subs: Niall McKee (1-0) for B.McCone, Joe Gribben for G.McParland, Pearse Hughes (0-1) for B.Toner, Cormac McKee for J.Grugan, Colm McKee for J.Gray, Chris Loughran for S.Lynch