Match Reports‎ > ‎

Goals 'reign' at Pearse Og (31/07/16)

posted 1 Aug 2016, 04:12 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 1 Aug 2016, 04:17 ]



A blistering first half performance saw our lads record a first away league victory over Pearse Og on Sunday past. The game was filled with drama and goals and at the end of the 60 minutes the Round Towers were deserving of their victory.

Gavin McParland got scoring proceedings off to a start on the 2nd minute with a converted free. Pearse Og got their first score of the game when they found the net on the 6th minute. Ballymacnab’s response was immediate with points from Ryan Kennedy and Brian McCone. There was a short delay in the game when Ballymacnab lost their influential midfielder Pauric Gribben to an injury and we wish him a speedy recovery. When the game restarted, Pearse Og hit the front with a converted free. Once again Ballymacnabs response was immediate and when Rory Grugan found the inrushing James Gray (Pauric Gribbens replacement) he side stepped the ‘keeper to convert the first ‘Nab goal. A heavy rain shower saw supporters run for cover but the game continued with Gavin McParland and Finnén Maguire adding points and when Rory Grugan rounded the ‘keeper and his marker, the ‘Nab collected another three pointer. The goals continued in the rain when Gavin McParland was fouled in the square and he slotted home a third goal from the resulting penalty kick. Ballymacnab kept the pressure on and after some good linkage play from Michael Beagan and Damien McGeown, James Gray fisted home his second goal. A converted free by Gavin McParland on the stroke of half time gave the ‘Nab a 4-08 to 1-04 lead at the interval.

In the second half, with the weather improved, Pearse Og got a second goal on the 33rd minute. Ballymacnab defended well, keeping the opposition at bay as they launched numerous attacks. Rory Grugan edged the ‘Nab further in front on the 41st minute before the home side hit 1-2 without reply to leave just 6 between the sides by the 47th minute. Four minutes from time the home side were awarded a penalty but the kick was well saved from ‘keeper Sean Hughes and when Brian McCone converted a long range point on the 58th minute thus securing the moral boosting 2 points.

Team: Sean Hughes, Chris Loughran, Dominic McParland, Sean Lynch, Michael Beagan, Ruairí Gribben, Oisin McGivern, Pauric Gribben, Richard Gribben, Ryan Kennedy (0-1), Damien McGeown, Finnén Maguire (0-1), Brian McCone (0-2), Rory Grugan (1-01), Gavin McParland (1-5). Subs: James Gray (2-0) for P.Gribben, Niall McKee for S.Lynch, Brendan Gribben for M.Beagan, Tony McKee for Ri.Gribben