Match Reports‎ > ‎

'Nab get off to winning start (16/08/19)

posted 21 Aug 2019, 15:21 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 27 Aug 2019, 15:07 ]

Senior Championship

Sarsfields 2-8 Ballymacnab 2-17

The margin separating the side at the final whistle may suggest a one sided contest but this game was anything but and it wasn’t until Gavin McParland’s 55th minute goal that the game was decided. Ballymacnab led from the opening minute to the last but were given a testing time by the home side.

It was McParland who got his sides’ first point with the first shot of the game before he turned provider to set up a Jack Grugan goal, firing Ballymacnab into a four point lead after just two minutes. Eamon McGeown got the hosts up and running but Ballymacnab remained on top with McParland nabbing his second while Cormac Gribben also split the posts.

The High Moss club got themselves back into contention with Paul McGeown (free) and Paul McGaughey reducing the margin to three. McGaughey hit a second, splitting scores from Rory Grugan and Gavin McParland before Sean Skelton cut through the Nab defence and buried the ball to the net, with Sarsfields now within a point of the leaders.

Ballymacnab would dominate on the scoreboard for the final five minutes of the half with Jack Grugan chipping over three points in a row before Sarsfields replied through Eamon McGeown. Gavin McParland closed the scoring for the half with his 4th point to see Ballymacnab ahead at the interval 1-9 to 1-5.

The use of the McGeown brothers Eamon and Paul as a two target men on the edge of the square troubled the Ballymacnab defence and it was Paul McGeown who opened the scoring for the second period. Pauric Gribben and Jack Grugan extended the Nabs advantage to five before Colin Stevenson struck for goal five minutes into the second period.

With Sarsfields continuing to pressure Ballymacnab up stepped Ryan Watters who kicked two massive points to give his side some breathing space. The wing half forward could have added to his personal tally but was denied a three pointer as the crossbar came to the rescue for the hosts.

Paul Meegan tagged on a further score for Ballymacnab while Paul McGeown hit two in a row for his side. James Gray popped up from his defence duties to help ease Ballymacnab further in front before Gavin McParland’s powerful shot was blocked down and ricochet into the Sarsfields net. McParland added a 45 to bring his tally to 1-5 before Brian McCone hit the insurance point one minute from time with Ballymacnab securing a nine point victory.

Ballymacnab: Conor McGivern, Ciaran Connelly, Cormac Gribben (0-1), Chris Loughran, Sean Lynch, Michael Beagan (Capt), James Gray (0-1), Rory Grugan (0-1), Pauric Gribben (0-1), Cormac McKee, Oisin McGivern, Ryan Watters (0-2), Gavin McParland (1-5), Jack Grugan (1-4), Brian McCone (0-1). Subs: Colm McKee for C. Loughran, Paul Meegan (0-1) for Cormac McKee, Ryan Kennedy for Colm McKee, Joe Gribben for J. Grugan.