Match Reports‎ > ‎

Rampant 'Nab see off Whitecross challenge (31/08/18)

posted 7 Sept 2018, 05:21 by ballymacnab armagh




After an impressive victory away to Sarsfields last weekend, our senior side were keen to stay unbeaten in the senior championship after 2 games and remain top of Group A with an away tie against Whitecross on Friday evening. A great performance by the team meant an astonishing 30 point win over a helpless Whitecross, with the score 5-17 to 0-2 at the final whistle.

It was the home side who opened the scoring with an early fisted point before Ballymacnab raced into the lead, a lead they would maintain for the rest of the game. Oisin McGivern’s long range effort struck the upright, with the rebound falling straight into the path of Jack Grugan who swiftly struck the back of the net.

Jack Grugan soon added to his tally with a point followed by scores from Rory Grugan, Kieran Hughes and Damien McGeown, leaving the score 1-4 to 0-1 after 15 minutes. Jack Grugan got his second before Cormac McKee kicked a point 3 minutes later. Brendan Toner opened his account, followed by a Rory Grugan pointed free. Whitecross got their second and final point of the game just before the interval with the score 1-8 to 0-2.

The second half was all Ballymacnab as they scored 4-9 in the space of 30 minutes with a range of 6 different scorers. Similar to the opening period, it was Jack Grugan who got the Nabs first score of the half, with Rory Grugan playing Jack in for a goal, only for the ball to be blasted over the black spot.

Brendan Toner got his second of the evening after a wonderful catch in the middle of the field by Ryan Watters while Kieran Hughes also split the posts, with Watters involved once again. Rory Grugan extended the margin to 13 points before Kieran Hughes scored 1-1 in quick succession to push the visitors further ahead.

Rory Grugan converted a penalty after Hughes had been dragged to the ground, before Grugan again struck for goal with an audacious chip over the goalkeepers head. Hughes, McGivern, Jack Grugan and Benny Gribben all got on the score sheet before Kieran Hughes tucked away his second goal leaving the full time score 5-17 to 0-2.

A great team display on the night with Ruairi Gribben, Paudi Crilly, Rory Grugan, Jack Grugan and Kieran Hughes the best performers. The Nabs 3rd and final game of the group stages will be a home time on Saturday evening against Dromintee at 4.15, the winners topping Group A and booking their place in this year’s quarter final.

Team: Sean Hughes, Chris Loughran, Ryan Kennedy, Ruairi Gribben, Michael Beagan (Capt), Paudi Crilly, James Gray, Rory Grugan (2-3), Damien McGeown (0-1), Cormac McKee (0-1), Oisin McGivern (0-1), Ryan Watters, Kieran Hughes (2-4), Jack Grugan (1-4), Brendan Toner (0-2).                                                                                                                                             
Subs: Aodhan Toner for B. Toner, Colm McKee for J. Gray, Tony McKee for D. McGeown, Benny Gribben (0-1) for Cormac McKee, Niall McKee for R. Watters, Sean Lynch for M. Beagan.