Match Reports‎ > ‎

Seniors back in Quarter Finals (30/08/15)

posted 1 Sept 2015, 12:18 by ballymacnab armagh   [ updated 10 Sept 2015, 13:57 ]


Ballymacnab 2-16 Sarsfields 1-17 (AET)

Our Seniors progressed to the Quarter Finals of this year's Senior Championship after an enthralling and epic saga against Sarsfields in Sundays Round 2 Qualifier. A late Chris Loughran point drew the sides level in normal time forcing extra time which Ballymacnab dominated and will now meet Annaghmore next weekend. 

Very little could separate the sides throughout as both sides had their 'purple patches'. Sarsfields were quick off the mark with a point within the first minute but the 'Nabs first score from Brian McCone soon followed. Brian McCone kicked two further points against three for the opposition as they lead by four on the 25th minute. Points from Ryan Kennedy and Brian McCone reduced the deficit at the half time to two as the High Moss men lead 7-5 at the interval. 

Sarsfields increased their lead with a point on the 33rd minute of the second half but points from Gavin McParland and Kieran Hughes soon followed. A brace of points for Sarsfields saw them lead by two but on the 40th minute came the first goal of the game when a move ignited by Pauric Gribben and Brian McCone saw Pauric finish to the net after James Grays initial shot was saved by the 'keeper. Things were now beginning to hot up and points were exchanged through Brian McCone, Jack Grugan and Gavin McParland and the Sarsfields attack and a pointed free for Sarsfields levelled matters on the 59th minute. With injury time fast approaching Sarsfields hit the front with a point which looked to be the winning score but a never say die attitude from our lads saw them engineer a move up the field that was finished with a point from Chris Loughran to force extra time. 

In the first period of extra time Ballymacnab stamped their authority early on with points from Jack Grugan and Brian McCone and a 67th minute goal from Kieran Hughes that was followed with a point from Gavin McParland leaving Ballymacnab leading by 6 at the interval. Sarsfields did respond with two points before a converted 45 meter kick from Gavin McParland left 5 between the sides. A converted penalty goal came just too late for the Sarsfields as the final whistle blew. 

Well done to both sets of players who produced a high level of football throughout the 80 odd minutes played that was played in good spirit throughout. Our lads now march on to the Quarter Finals