Match Reports‎ > ‎

Seniors finish all square with Ogs (20/06/12)

posted 21 Jun 2012, 08:20 by Unknown user




Our seniors played out a pulse rating draw against Pearse Og on Wednesday night. After some 60 plus minutes a draw was probably the fairest result as the sides were level on six separate occasions and Ballymacnab making a come back when they trailed by 7 points in the early stages of the second half.


The game started unfortunate for hard working defender Paudi Crilly who had to retire after the first attack with an ankle injury and we wish him a speedy recovery. When the game restarted the Ogs were first off the mark with a point and quickly followed with another from a free. Rory Grugan converted two frees in between another for the visitors before two points from Brian McCone left the sides level on the 21st minute. Two points for the opposition gave them the upper hand on the scoreboard but another two from Brian McCone levelled the game once more. A Rory Grugan point on the verge of the interval put the 'Nab in front for the first time. However, this lead was short lived as the Ogs went on the attack and as the ball 'bobbled' in front of the 'Nab goal mouth an attacker struck the loose ball to the net to gave them a 0-07 to 1-06 lead at the break.


Pearse Og stretched their lead with three points in between one from Joe Gribben in the early stages and on the 37th minute the ‘Nab defence was caught knapping as the visitors converted another goal. This now left seven between the sides but the Round Towers showed great composure and points in quick succession from Brian McCone and Pauric Gribben reduced the deficit. Rory Grugan converted a free after being foul once more before the Ogs hit back with another. Brian McCone converted a free on the 52nd minute before substitute Jack Grugan made an immediate impact when he curled over a delightful point to leave three between the sides. Ballymacnab went on the attack once more, led by Rory Grugan who continued tormenting the Ogs defence and his inch perfect pass to his brother Jack saw him fouled in the large square and a penalty awarded. Rory Grugan coolly stepped up and slotted the ball to the net. With six minutes of normal time remaining, the sides were now level as both sets of supports held their nerves. The Ogs took the initiative with a point but this was short lived when Rory Grugan converted a free and followed with another from play on the 60th minute to give his side the lead. However, there was still time for the Ogs to hit back with two points before an excellent James Gray effort brought the contest to all square once more. A great spectacle of the game from both sets of players as both sides seemed reasonably happy with a share of the spoils and edge up the league table.   


Team: Sean Hughes, Chris Loughran, Dominic McParland, Paudi Crilly, Dwayne McParland, Sean McArdle, Ruairí Gribben, Pauric Gribben, Richard Gribben, James Gray (0-1), Joe Gribben (0-1), Michael Beagan, Rory Grugan (1-6), Brian McCone (0-6), Kevin Beagan. Subs: Brendan Toner for P.Crilly, Barry O'Hare for R.Gribben, Jack Grugan (0-1) for S.McArdle.