Match Reports‎ > ‎

Seniors lose away to Crossmaglen (08/09/19)

posted 18 Sept 2019, 04:51 by ballymacnab armagh


Crossmaglen 3-15 Ballymacnab 2-12


Ballymacnab done amazingly well to claw themselves back into contention in the second half after a disastrous opening quarter which saw them trail 1-7 to no score with the result seemingly never in doubt. However the Round Towers cut the deficit to four but two quick fire goals for the Rangers handed the home side the advantage once again.

The game was just 11 seconds old when Crossmaglen rattled the net for their first score with a brilliantly worked move straight from the training ground. Rian O’Neill rose highest to fetch the throw up and found his brother Oisin in acres of space bursting through the forward line to collect possession and bury the ball to the net with the Nab immediately in trouble.

Things only got worse as the O’Neill brothers ran riot along with their younger cousin Cian McConville who kicked the opening point after three minutes. Rian O’Neill (2), Stephen Morris, Colin O’Connor and Oisin O’Neill all added points before Ballymacnab got off the mark in the 15th minute with a Gavin McParland 45.

Ballymacnab outscored the hosts for the rest of the half with Rory Grugan trading scores with Oisin O’Neill while Ryan Kennedy exchanged points with Cian McConville to keep nine the margin. Jack Grugan saw his point followed by a Oisin McGivern free to bring the half to a close with Cross on top 1-9 to 0-5.

A changed Nab side entered the fray for the second half and reeled off four of the first five points to bring them right back into the game. Rory Grugan and Ryan Watters converted scores before Oisin O’Neill struck his third point. Grugan got his second of the half while his brother Jack scored to bring the deficit back to four, with Ballymacnab on top at this stage.

Then disaster struck for the men in maroon and white as all their hard work was undone in a crazy 20 second spell. Mel Boyce rattled the net to give Cross some comfort before Kyle Carragher captured the resulting kick out and blasted the ball past the goal keeper to send his side 10 ahead.

Ballymacnab did continue to fight their corner with Gavin McParland firing the ball to the net while Oisin McGivern and McParland brought the margin back to five. But Cross turned on the style once again and points from Oisin O’Neill, Stephen Morris, Kyle Carragher and Paul Hughes ended any hope of a Nab revival.

Jack Grugan finished off with a pointed free before sticking home a penalty with Ballymacnab’s last score. It was Cross who tagged on the final score of the game through a Rian O’Neill dead ball to leave the home side six points to the good when the final whistle sounded.

Team: Conor McGivern, Ciaran Connolly (Capt), Ryan Kennedy (0-1), James Gray, Sean Lynch, Cormac Gribben, Rúairí Gribben, Jack Grugan (1-3), Paul Meegan, Niall McKee, Oisin McGivern (0-2), Ryan Watters (0-1), Rory Grugan (0-3), Gavin McParland (1-2), Brendan Toner. Subs: Colm McKee for C.Connolly,