Match Reports‎ > ‎

Under 14s advance to Semi Final (17/06/12)

posted 18 Jun 2012, 05:14 by Unknown user   [ updated 18 Jun 2012, 05:14 ]

Grange 4-04 Ballymacnab 4-05


Grange was the venue for the Under14 Championship Quarter Final on Sunday evening with the ‘Nab playing the locals. The boys were hoping to build on their great performance in defeating Cladai in the previous round. From the throw-in the Grange attacked and had a point scored within 30 seconds. The boys took a few minutes to settle but a point in the 4th minute from Ryan Watters steadied the nerves. More point's soon followed from Conor Lynch and Ryan Watters before Pearse Hughes was fouled as he was about to shoot for goal. Ryan Watters made no mistake from the resulting free as he fired his shot low and hard to the keepers left and into the bottom corner. Ryan followed up with another point before he had a shot saved by the keeper but the industrious Caoimhín Rafferty was in support and he slotted the ball to the net to give his side a seven point lead at the break.


The second half was to a lot more competitive. Grange attacked again from the throw-in and after a lapse in the Nab defence the ball ended up in the net. The intensity of the play and challenges increased, as the ball was moved from end to end at great pace but inaccurate shooting form both teams only adding to the wide tally. Some great defending during this period from Tiarnán Smyth and Kyle Gallagher helped the Nab to stay ahead on the scoreboard. Ballymacnab registered their first score of the half on the 14th minute, a point from Caoimhín Rafferty. This was quickly followed up with an excellent goal from Conor Lynch. However Grange responded with a goal a minute later to ensure the ‘Nab would endure a nervous end to the game. The nerves were settled somewhat by another goal strike from Conor Lynch but again the Grange replied with a goal to leave only 3 between the sides entering injury time, so the next score was key to the outcome. And what a great score it was from the boot of midfielder Niall McKee, who rounded his man and calmly split the posts from 30 metre's out. From the kick out Grange attacked again, a swift move down the field resulting in another goal. The final whistle sounded and to the great relief of the Nab boys the victory was theirs by a one point margin.


The boys can now look forward to a Semi Final against either Middletown or An Port Mor, knowing that if they continue to work hard and listen to their Coaches anything is possible. This was a great team effort from all involved.


Team: S.O.Curry, C.Dougan, T.Smyth, K.Gallagher, D.McArdle, C.Rafferty (1-01), N.McKee (0-01), R.Watters (1-03), C.O'Hanlon, P.Hughes, C.Lynch (2-01), O.Dougan, L.McGivern, E.Crilly, M.Gribbon, C.Gribben.